The current United States Secretary of Education is Elisabeth Dee DeVos.
Information About Betsy DeVos
Betsy Devos was born in Holland, Michigan back in 1958. She graduated from Calvin College where she started to become politically active. In 1979, she was married into the wealthy and influential DeVos family. Her husband, Dick DeVos, was the Republican nominee for Governor of Michigan, the former president of Amway and Orlando Magic NBA franchise, too.
In 1996, DeVos started promoting school voucher programs in her home state which she became the founder of organizations such as the American Federation for Children.
DeVos is a reformer and a political activist, and she became the choice for the position of Secretary of Education by the U.S. President’s Donald Trump himself.
The woman has made her mark a few years ago about the guidelines for student-loan debt relief. She also rules on governing sexual assault cases on college campuses back in the President Barack Obama era.
Achievements of Betsy DeVos
The following are the list of DeVos’ accomplishment throughout her lifetime.
- Became politically involved at Calvin College with campus politics and remaining politically active ever since.
- For more than 30 years, DeVos has led a variety of campaigns, party organizations, and political action committees.
- Chairman of the Michigan Republican Party for 6 years.
- The reforming tendency runs in her family.
- Serves as chairman of the privately held multi-company operating group called the Windquest Group since 1989.
- Pursues reform through a variety of nonprofit roles.
- Chairman of the Dick and Betsy DeVos Family Foundation.
- A member of several national and local boards.
- Member of the DeVos Institute for Arts Management at the Kennedy Center.
- Member of Mars Hill Bible Church.
- Member of Kids Hope US.
- Member of the Foundation for Excellence in Education.
- Chairman of the American Federation for Children.
- Chairman of the Alliance for School Choice.
The philanthropy of Betsy and her husband, Dick, shows education is a priority. They allotted over $3 million to educational causes, along with 26 percent of their charitable donations back in 2015. On top of that, their foundation awarded $357,000 to groups that support education reform.
Betsy and Dick DeVos have contributed to different religious and political causes over the years. Betsy DeVos strived to expand charter schools and the use of vouchers. This will let the students use public funding to pay for private or even religious schooling.
DeVos is popularly known as a leading advocate for the educational-choice movement. The big responsibility of Betsy DeVos is to run a department that ensures children from all backgrounds to have access to quality education.
Follow Betsy DeVos on twitter.